ORTADOĞU TIP DERGİSİ - ORTADOGU MEDICAL JOURNAL
Long-term compliance to continuous positive airway pressure therapy in patients with severe sleep apnea syndrome
Şiddetli uyku apne sendromu olan hastalarda sürekli pozitif hava yolu basıncı tedavisine uzun süreli uyum

Meltem Tulğar 1 * , Murad Mutlu 2, Melike Yüceege 3, Hikmet Fırat 3, Sadık Ardıç 4

Ortadoğu Tıp Dergisi - Ortadogu Medical Journal, Volume 12, Issue 2, pp. 194-199

https://doi.org/10.21601/ortadogutipdergisi.715620

OPEN ACCESS

Download Full Text (PDF)

Abstract

Background and Aim: Compliance is the adherence of the patient to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy after his/her decision to start treatment. The aim of this study is to evaluate the compliance to CPAP therapy in a large patient population and the results were presented after 5 years of follow-up period in order to emphasize long-term compliance with CPAP treatment in the light of the literature.
Materials and Methods: Patients who could not afford CPAP device or attend regular controls were excluded from the study and the remaining 174 patients were included in the study. At the end of 5 years, the patients were called back. A total of 110 patients met the eligibility criteria for the study110 patients (79 males, 31 females) whose charts were reviewed.
Results: Fifty of 110 study participants (45.5%) regularly used CPAP device for ≥4 hours and the remaining 60 (54.5%) patients did not use CPAP device regularly. At the end of 5 years, we found that 36.4% of the patients used the device 4 hours a night. AHI severity does not affect adherence to the device and compliance rates (2=2.743; p=0.254).
Conclusion: The patients compliance rates with CPAP device was found concord with the literature. This study conveys greater importance than other relevant studies in the literature in that it encompasses a larger patient population followed up for a longer period.

Öz

Giriş ve Amaç: Kompliyans, hastanın tedaviye başlama kararından sonra sürekli pozitif havayolu basıncı (CPAP) tedavisine uymasıdır. Bu çalışmanın amacı, geniş bir hasta popülasyonunda CPAP tedavisine uyumu değerlendirmektir ve sonuçlar literatür ışığında CPAP tedavisine uzun vadeli uyumu vurgulamak amacıyla 5 yıllık takip süresinden sonra sunulmuştur.
Gereç ve Yöntem: CPAP cihazı alamayan veya düzenli kontrollere katılamayan hastalar çalışmaya alınmadı ve kalan 174 hasta çalışmaya dahil edildi. 5 yılın sonunda hastalar geri çağrıldı. Toplam 110 hasta, çizelgeleri gözden geçirilmiş 110 hasta (79 erkek, 31 kadın) için uygunluk kriterlerini karşılamıştır.
Bulgular: Çalışmaya katılan 110 kişiden 50'si (%45,5) düzenli olarak ≥4 saat CPAP cihazı kullanmış ve geri kalan 60 (%54,5) hasta düzenli olarak CPAP cihazı kullanmamıştır. 5 yılın sonunda hastaların %36,4'ünün cihazı gece 4 saat kullandığını tespit ettik. AHI şiddeti cihaza uyumu ve uyum oranlarını etkilemez (2 = 2,743; p = 0,254).
Sonuç: Hastaların CPAP cihazına uyum oranları literatürle uyumlu bulunmuştur. Bu çalışma, daha uzun süre takip edilen daha geniş bir hasta popülasyonunu kapsaması bakımından literatürdeki diğer ilgili çalışmalardan daha fazla önem taşımaktadır.

References

Citation